Monday, May 11, 2009

When people start to grow up...


This evening I went with my husband to take engagement photos of my little sister Jess and her fiancee.  I was surprised at how sentimental I felt as I watched her...this turn of events has been somewhat sudden and I am quick to notice the subtle changes that have come to her... something is different in the way she carries herself, a new tenderness is in her eyes, and a kind of gentleness has suddenly turned her from girl to woman.  It is delightful to behold, yet there is a twinge of sadness in it, as I look back over the past.  The truth is, she's always been here with me, so in tune with me and alike in thought, if not manner, that I sometimes forget we're different people. :)   I could fill novel upon novel with her oddities and strengths; I could render people speechless with laughter with her funny mistakes or bring people to tears with tales of true kindness she's performed. 
I'm essentially a selfish person, and I love few people deeply, but when I do, I love them fiercely.  No one can bring me to anger faster than when hurting my family... I remember the very first time I felt true anger--physical, boiling anger--was when a boy much bigger than me on the playground was being mean to Jessica.  I shoved him away from her and shouted at him and ran away with Jess and then cried because I was scared she was hurt.  
Now she has someone new to protect her, and he's quite a bit bigger than me so I think she'll be fine.  :)  I guess I'm just glad for memories.  Jessie's future belongs to someone else now, but I will always have the childhood that belongs to just Jess and me.  

7 comments:

  1. This is fine writing Laura.

    Alas, I feel the same. I remember giving Jessica a ride home from school on the scooter. How excited she was! But, I am also really excited for this new stage of her life. It is quite a transition you know, going from caring just about yourself to caring for two. She will be just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! That was a good post. It makes me sad and happy, a little tear even found it's way to the surface. You are a great sister. Both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you have a blog. I can tell this will be fun to read!

    Also, you'll still be able to have fun with your sis. You can have kiddos together, hang out as marrieds, and all that kind of stuff.

    It's hard to watch your younger siblings grow up though. I'm sure I'll go through a shock state when my little brother gets married.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What?! What?! What?! When did Jess get engaged? I SOOOOO better get an invite!

    I love that you have a blog now too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Laura, I found your blog Via your brother. How are you guys?
    -Derek and Amy Green

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laura, this is so great. I loved reading about the Tea Shoppe. You have a gift of writing like your mother. I don't and I am quite envious. So Jessie is engaged! Please let me know the details and we would love to throw her a shower, as well as attend the wedding etc of course! My email is aprilanddave@gmail.com it is so good to hear about your life and dreams. love you, Aunt April

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete