Thursday, February 11, 2010

Request for childbirth stories! :)

So I am 30 weeks along now! I'm big, heart-burny, hormone ridden, and happy. :) I can't believe everything has gone along so smoothly, and that in 10 (give or take) weeks I'm going to be going into labor and joining all of you other mommies out there in that grand adventure called childbirth! Being one of those control freak people who like to know what to expect, I've been reading all the books and taking all the classes at the hospital and picking the brains of all the girls in my ward trying to get details of what their labor was like, what their first week home was like, what their experience breastfeeding was like, etc.

And now I apply to all of you, who might still look at my blog occasionally, even though my blogs are pitiful and sporadic at best, to indulge me in my quest for knowledge and spill your best or worst birth stories and advice! Where were you when you went into labor? Did you have false alarms? Were you excited or scared? How long was your labor? Did you get an epidural? Was there anything special you brought to the hospital that helped you in some way? What was your husband's reactions to everything? What did it feel like to finally see your little baby? Was breastfeeding easy or hard for you?

Any advice is welcome!!!


  1. Oh Boy! This could be a long one! I'll just give you my 1st birth story experience. I was a week early with Brightynn and my water broke. I had lost my mucus plug 5 days before so that was way different than my mom and sister who lost theirs the day before they went into labor. I went natural and I had a doula who came to the house while I labored. After my water broke, the contractions started to hit pretty hard after about 45 mins. After about three hours at home, I decded it was time to go to the hospital. I had to stop every couple of minutes or so with each contraction to concentrate on what I was doing. My blood pressure got really high during labor so I had to have and IV (wich I didn't want) and stay in bed (which I also didnt want) so they could monitor the baby. Laboring naturally on your back is not a picnic, but Mark was a life saver. He did this breathing technique I got from Emilie that is really hard to explain, but worked wonders. After about another three hours, I felt like I needed to push and that was the most gratifying feeling ever! Mark was able to deliever her and it was awesome, I was exhuasted, but very happy!! Good Luck Laura!
    Sorry this is so not in order, but I'm limited because my #2 labor story is talking my ear off and I can't concentrate well! ;0)

  2. I am so excited for you Laura, the mommyhood club is definitely a fun one (for the most part). My #1 pregnancy went just swimmingly, I only got sick once and other than feeling really tired, it was easy. Until the last month, when I developed PUPPs. Basically I had a heat rash over my entire body that was caused by the pregnancy. Two weeks before my due date it got so bad that I scratched my belly until I drew blood. All I could do was sit in a cold bath with oatmeal until I was shivering so hard my teeth were chattering, then get out and slather myself with medicated lotion. Then I would lay naked on my bed for about a half an hour until the burning/itching drove me back to the bath. This cycle went on for about 4 days, and meant that I didn't sleep more then 20 minutes at a time. Finally on the morning of the 4th day my hubby woke up to me writhing and incoherent with the misery. So he took me to the hospital and they we're able to give me something so I could sleep for about 6 hours. They induced me 3 days later, when I was a week early. I don't remember much about that labor because apparently I am really susceptible to drugs. They induced me at 5 am and I slept through the whole day until I delivered at 9 pm. It was a pretty frightening experience for Brian, I was drugged enough that the panic didn't affect me. The cord was wrapped around Jake's neck and they had to use both suction and forceps to get him out. The doctor told me later that she was a hairs breath away from trying to push the head back in and try for a c-section. (I didn't like that Dr. and changed OBs after that.) But after a few hours in the NICU Jake was just fine and the only thing that showed his somewhat traumatic birth was a cut on the side of his head from the forceps. Which healed just fine with no scar. #2 was a harder pregnancy, I got sick with her often. Although it was odd, because I didn't have the nausea, just oops! Sick! All done. So not too bad, as I know others have much harder times. of it. She was also induced being 4 days overdue. I had a much better experience with having less drugs and feeling awake and aware for the entire labor and delivery. She was probably my easiest and I actually got to hold her right afterwards. #3 was the first time I actually went into labor. Yeah, I didn't like that at all. Much more painful. She was also a bit of a drama queen at birth because her cord was wrapped around her chest so as I contracted it would squeeze her and they would lose the heartbeat. She came quite quickly though and was just fine, didn't have to go to the NICU or anything. She was also my easiest recovery. A week later and it felt like I hadn't ever been pregnant. I know this is already a book, so two small pieces of advice. Get as much rest in the hospital as you can. Don't feel bad about sending him to the nursery so you can sleep, as much as they'll let you. Also, enjoy following his schedule for the first few months, sleep when he does, don't worry about cooking and cleaning and laundry. Things will get done and the newborn stage goes by faster than you think. Oh yes, don't go by the size on the labels of baby clothes. Unless it lists height and weight measurements it is totally subjective. :)

  3. Wish I had some advice. :) All I can say is that I'm really happy for you and I hope all goes well!

  4. I have no stories for you. But I wish you luck. K, bye.

  5. Thanks ladies! Keep em comin!! Annie, was it Lamaze that you were doing with the breathing? Bodie and I took a Lamaze class at the hospital that I feel like has really helped me; I would like to go as long as I can without too many drugs before there's no turning back! ;) Chrissy, excellent advice! I can't imagine that horrible rash, it sounds hellacious!!! Your story reminds me of my sister in law's: she had an allergic reaction to one of the medicines and was totally delirious the entire time and it really scared Scott! Mary and Brittney, thanks for the encouragement!

  6. Laura,

    If you want the play by play, go here

    For the short and sweet:

    I went into labor at a friends party, but my water never broke. The epidural was the best. thing. ever. I know everyone has a different experience, but I LOVED mine. I labored for a little over 12 hours total. (sleeping about 4 hours of that!)

    I agree with Chrissy about sending your bundle of joy to the nursery and having them bring him in to eat. I kept him with me for the first night...and hardly slept at all. they make so much noise when they sleep! and I was sleeping so lightly anyway, wanted to make sure he was okay.

    I was not prepared for HOW swollen I was down hurt a lot. Just FYI. After a few days it was much better.

    anyway, I'll be seeing you in a few weeks, and I'm sure all the ladies will be swapping stories! See you soon!

  7. Alright, here goes.

    #1. Woke up at 4 am, 13 days before my due date, because I thought I needed to pee,which of course is what I had needed to do every morning before that. I quickly realized there was more going on. I was having contractions!

    There were not bad. Just mild, period like, cramps that would come and go. We were living in Logan at the time but had come down to Centerville for a class Kev had to take. I sent him off to his class thinking everything would settle down...I was still two weeks away from my due date after all. And EVERYONE told me you always go over-due with your first.

    Anyway, I called Kevin back a few hours later and by 12:30 I was in PAIN. Still manageable, but pain none the less. I called my doula to meet us at the hospital. By the time I got to the hospital, around 2pm, I was at 5cm and my water was bulging.

    I had been playing a game with myself to see how far I could dilate before I wanted my Epi.They broke my water and Around 4:20 I asked for it, but they said, "Nope. You are at a 10 and it's time to push!"

    I pushed for 30 mins and out she came!

    #2 woke up at 4 am because I thought I had to pee (do you see a theme?) Nope. Contractions again. 1 day early.

    Called my doula to meet us at the hossy. Got there at 6:30am @ 9cm!The pain was just very manageable. I had NO idea I was that far along. They had to break my water. I would have him earlier, but they wouldn't let me push because my mid-wife was just pulling into the parking lot.

    I had him at 7:20 am. I delivered on my hands and knees. Which is a fantastic position, if not a little embarrassing, but it helped to push out his GIANT head.

    #3 Woke up at 4am ( I really am not kidding ), three days past my due date, decided to go to the hossy earlier because I was WAY to close to having baby #2 in the car. Got there at about 6 am, dilated to 6cm. My doula met us there. They broke my water at 8am. I screamed like a banshy woman every time I pushed. He was born at 8:20am.

    #4 I was 8 days away from my due date. I bent down to put my shoes on, at 7:45pm (this labor was different is SO many ways) and liquid came out. I thought, "Hmmm, either my water broke or I've completely lost all control of my bladder."

    Well, here is the link to my blog....

    Nothing is, or can be planned. The best way to have a good labor is to be OK with whatever comes your way and make the best of it. Good luck!

  8. Good luck Laura! This is an exciting time!

    Our story is pretty against the norm.

    All in all, I labored 20 hours natural labor, then ended up in an emergency c-section due to some completely wild complications! We learned from our experience that I will always have to have a c-section and we should be completely grateful for modern medicine. If I gave birth on the plains as a pioneer both me and baby would have died.


    That being said, we had a doula for our natural labor portion of events and I can't say enough WONDERFUL WONDERFUL things about her and the experience of having her help. She came to our house at 5:00 a.m. after we called her at 1:00 a.m. She labored with us at home till noon, and onward to 8:00 p.m. She was so very encouraging, helpful, comforting, and helped both me AND Ben know what to do. If I had a normal body, I'm sure I would have delivered just fine all natural with her help.

    I also learned a relaxation technique from Kristin Bowen in Hyde Park called EFT. Seriously, I couldn't have made it 20 hours naturally without it. It was super simple, and Ben could help me with it, and it took all the pain away when we were doing it. Its pretty amazing. I did a session with Kristen to learn it, and then read the online manual (70 plus pages) afterwards.

    You'll do great! This is exciting! I'm absolutely thrilled for you both! You'll be awesome parents!

    Good luck!

    -brooke snow

  9. #1 Living in Quebec. I was sick, throwing up the whole pregnacy, I conceived weighing 130 lbs and I delivered weighing 130 lbs. My mom came for two weeks. I had to have this baby in that two weeks. I was a nervous wreck. Week 1 went by...nothing, I took castor oil thinking it would speed things up, no, only made me sick with the runs, second week, I woke up with pain at around midnight, we went to the hospital. all french nurses and doctors... they gave me an enema, so every time I felt a contraciton I would mess myself, so embarrassing, they gave me a para cervical which just numbs the vaginal area. it didn't work all that well, I remember them cutting me down there and screaming and squeezing Guy's arm off. I felt like it was a long labor, her head came out very coned shaped. I tried to nurse but my milk never came in.#2 Nauseated the whole time and very tired. This is when my throst started closing off on me. I was Visiting Teaching in the afternoon I went to the bathroom and lost my mucas plug, the next day was our Madsen family party and I was in the hospital at 6pm they gave me an epidural but it didn't take. They cut me again, I still remember the pain of her head widening the opening to come out, very painful. She came out fast, she was tiny. #3 Nauseated, tired and with a trach tube. I had been taking prednisone to keep my lupus under control and the dr. told me the minute I thought I was pregnant to stop taking it cause it would deform the baby. One morning as I was going to take the medicine, a voice said, don't take that you are pregnant. It was too early for skipped period or anything else to tell me . I am forever grateful for that.I did need to have an emergency traceotomy though, cause the ole throat closed off again. 9 months later, I was going to my dr. appt. to have an amnio to see if she was ready, I was feeling pains when I went and so they checked me and I was in labor. Guy met me at the hospital and your mom came and we played family fued, I think we played something, they had given me an epidural that worked beautifully so I didn't feel any pain. I labored from 1 to 6pm. The best delivery by far. I suggest getting an epidural. and rest as much as you can before and after so you aren't overly tired when you have the baby and you can recover quickly. You'll do wonderful. It's not an easy thing, but it is so worth it!

  10. Yay! Thank you so much all of you for your stories! I can't believe how different everyone's experiences are! I got my mom's journals from dad, and I'm trying to find all of her labor stories, but the more kids she had the less time she had to write them down! :) Even then, it's looking like everyone's labor is so different, regardless of what your mom's is like! Aunt April, I think that's so fun that my mom came to keep you company at the hospital for awhile when you had Megs! I know she'll be there with me, too. Emilie, I love how varied your births are! You and your sisters were some of the first girls I knew to have babies, so that was fun for me. :) Your kids are all so adorable, btw! I can't believe how they're growing up! It seems only yesterday you were living at our house (enduring might be a better word!) ;) defending me from my older brothers! :) And Brooke, you're such an example of strength to me! I can't wait to see your house soon! :)

  11. Well...with G: I had my last day of work on friday dec 2 and that night K and I thought we'd stay up late watching a movie since we weren't sure when we would be able to do that again. We went to bed around midnight and my contractions started about 1 am. They were slow, about every hour all through Saturday. We went to our ward christmas breakfast, went to the library and went shopping. Finally that evening i was tired and they were about 5 min a part so I wanted to go to the hospital. We drove there in a blizzard. We checked in and they told me I wasn't dialated enough (3 cm) and that I should go home and come back in an hour or so. I wanted to scream at them, cause it had taken us a half an hour to just drive there in all the snow. So we walked the hospital halls. For an hour. K gave me a blessing in the hospital chapel and we walked some more. When I was checked again I was only dialated to a 4, but my midwife was there and she said to go ahead and check me in. I got an epidural almost immediately which I think added to the length of the labor but I didn't much care because it was the first sleep I got in over 48 hours. I slept on and off most of the night (except when they kept coming in to check me). I couldn't move around much because of all the moniters. I finally started pushing at 5 am Sunday morning because I just HAD to. My midwife wanted me to wait for her but I didn't. I ended up pushing for TWO HOURS. Every time I would make progress I'd lay back and he'd go back in. By this time my epidural had worn mostly off so I was in a lot of pain and was so tired. I literally wanted to give up, but they woudln't let me. My nurse was supposed to be off shift at 7 am and she told me I'd better have this baby before she got off work cause she wanted to see it. I totally latched on to that and tried so hard. He was finally born just after 7 am with a perfectly shaped (no conehead at all) and lots of bruising and scratches on the top of his head. I tore so the stitching up and delivering the afterbirth was one of my least favorite parts. of the whole thing.

    With H-
    we picked up K's mom at the airport on the and that night stayed up late finishing our upholstered headboard because we wanted to have it finished before the baby got here. We went to bed around midnight. At 1 am my contractions started. I spend the day walking the mall, walking the neighborhood and sitting on an exercise ball, trying to get things moving. We ended up going to the hospital around 1am. I wanted to do it naturally to see if I could. It. was. So. Hard. I threw up a lot and really didn't concentrate well, but I did it. Em wrote about it here Em wrote about it here:

    Good luck to you!

  12. Hey! You don't know me. I was a friend of your hubby's in high school. I hope you'll still accept my unsolicited stories here.
    With my first, I was induced. I went in at like 7 am and got all hooked up with ivs and monitors and whatnot. I had tested positive for the group b strep, so they had to give me penicillin through the iv. It stung a lot. I was not doing anything, so they started the pitocin and broke my water at about 9:15. From there the contractions started. Up until this point, I hadn't had any so I didn't know what to expect. The first ones hurt and I cried. But then something happened. All of a sudden they were coming harder and faster and they took my breath completely away. So I had to figure out how to breathe. I found that if I took a really long breath in and then let it all out, my contractions would last for 3 breaths. It continued and continued. Finally I really started feeling like I had to, um, use the bathroom. In a BAD way. They had me wait because I was not fully effaced. It was hard to resist the urge not to push, it was incredible how your body just knows what to do! Finally they told me to push. My aunt had given me the best advise ever, which is a bit crude so forgive me. But she told me that with her first two babies, she was pushing all wrong. You think you need to push using your stomach muscles but in reality, you push using the same muscle you would as if you were going #2. It helped a lot to know what to do and the Dr told me most women are pushing for hours before they figure out it's like taking a poo. (sorry) I pushed for about 45 minutes and had him around 4:45. Not too bad, in labor for about 7 1/2 hours. i had no drugs, no epidural. I was almost ready to ask for something when they told me it was time to push, but at that point, I was just ready to get it over with.

  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

  14. With my second baby, it was completely different. I went into labor at home. I didn't know what it was supposed to feel like because I was induced before. It was about 11 pm and I started having period like cramps, but they were coming pretty steady. I tried to get some sleep and slept for about an hour. Then my #1 woke up and came and got into bed with us. I'm sure he knew something was going on, he never wakes up in the middle of the night. And he wouldn't go back to sleep. So he sat there with me and would ask me why I was breathing like a train. I figured there was no sleeping, so I got up and cleaned the living room and just straightened up the house. I finally called the hospital around 5 am and they told me I could come in and get checked. So I got ready and we left. We got there around 6:30 or 7 am. Let me just tell you these contractions were so much milder than I had had with my #1, so I figured I was a long way off and waited for them to get more intense. When they got me in a bed and hooked up, she finally checked me and I was at a 7!!! So I sat in the bed and watched VH1. They broke wy water and it progressed fairly quickly, but the contractions were not nearly as fierce as my first time around. It was time to push, I literally pushed three times and out came baby #2. It was 8:50, so I was only at the hospital for two hours!
    All in all, I have discovered a few things. First I will never be induced voluntarily again. The difference between the two births was night and day. Pitocin is a bear! However, if I need it with my next baby, I will do it and know what to expect. I also just want to say that it is really a great feeling to be able to give birth naturally. It is a blessing. As soon as that baby's out you feel fantastic, no kidding. It's like all the pain is gone. And you can get up and shower and use the bathroom. It was awesome. I hate when people ask me if I did it naturally, however, because I feel like I'm bragging about it or like they think I think I'm better because I did it that way. I am not and I don't!!! The reality of the situation is that I am so blessed that all the circumstances lined up just so that I was able to give birth complication free. It's a blessing to give birth period and the method used is just not even a big deal. Every birth is different and there is absolutely nothing to be ashamed of or to feel bad about needing an epidural or drugs to ease the pain. That's what they're there for. Childbirth is so unpredictable and you just have to roll with the punches. Each woman's birth is an amazing story all on it's own. I'm sure you will be fabulous and you get to have this perfect little baby when you're done. it's so so worth it!! Good luck!!

  15. Laura,
    It is true that everyone's story is different each person doesn't truly ever know what to expect. But, for what it is worth, here are my stories.

    My first was 7 days early. I was determined to have her and for a week I had been walking as much as I could... up and down hills, on the treadmill, everywhere. I was only dilated to a 1 at my last appointment before I went into labor. I woke up on a Friday night about 2 a.m. with pain in my lower back. I never did fall back asleep and went out about 7:00 a.m. for a 2 mile walk. My day continued much the same. I was exhausted but just felt miserable because my back hurt. Everyone told me it was probably "back labor" and could last for a few days. By 8 p.m. I was hurting pretty bad and called up to the hospital to see what they thought and they told me to take a warm bath and that I was probably just having "back labor". Finally, by 11:00 p.m. I couldn't sit, stand, or do anything. I told my husband he had to take me to the hospital to see if they could give me anything for the pain. He paused his XBOX game, I grabbed a pair of flipflops and we headed out the door. When we got there they hooked me to a monitor to check the baby and you could immediately see I was having some pretty intense contractions. I had no idea I was in labor because I couldn't feel the contractions, they were all in my back, which is why it hurt so bad. I was dilated to a 6. I had said all along that I was going to have her natural if I could but by that time I was in so much pain I begged for an epidural :). We had to call my mom to go get my bag and our camera. My cousins and sister happened to be at her house at the time, so they all came up to wait. The doctor came and broke my water about 12:30. By 3 a.m. I was dilated to a 10, but I had pushed my epidural button so many times that I was TOTALLY numb, I couldn't feel anything! So, they turned my epidural off, made me wait an hour and then I pushed for about 5 minutes and she was born. 7 lbs. 4 oz. and perfectly healthy. I tore pretty bad with her and had a bunch of stitches. That was pretty miserable. I also got horrible hemorhoids (that I still have to this day) but even just over the counter cream or the diucane they give you at the hospital helps a lot! I tried to breastfeed her but in the end it was just too stressful. She never wanted to latch on and she'd cry cause she was hungry and I'd get all anxious and frustrated. After a few days I started just pumping and giving her a bottle but that was such a pain I ended up just giving up after a week. I know everyone says breastfeeding is best, but at the time I just couldn't handle it. It was much better for me to be happy and not stressed out because then she was happier too. She did just fine on formula and she actually gets sick less than my 2nd, who I did breastfeed. I spent the first week at my moms and had lots of help from her and my cousin. It was really nice to have the extra help and some time to sleep. The nights were very tiring because I had trouble getting her to eat. Once we went home and got on a schedule it got much easier but I was still exhausted. I think the first month at least I'd sleep 'till 12 or 1 everyday. Or, if I had to get up in the morning I'd take her over to my sisters so I could nap in the afternoons. Her "awake" time was from about 10 p.m. to 1 a.m. so that was also really hard for me because I wanted to be in bed.

  16. Baby #2 I was miserable! The last month or so I struggled bad with anxiety and not sleeping. I was also driving to Ogden everyday for work which was so uncomfortable. I ended up taking my maternity leave 2 weeks early because I couldn't bear it. I carried him extremely low and the pain and pressure made everything worse. At 37 weeks I was dilated to about a 1 but wasn't really even having false contractions or anything. I was sure he was going to take forever to come. The day I went into labor, I ran 5 miles in the morning (I ran my whole pregnancy so this was normal), cleaned my house, and went to a birthday party for my grandpa. At the party everyone kept asking me when the baby was going to come and I'd just say not soon enough! Brooke just happened to have a sleepover at my mom's that night. When we got home from the party, Matt and I went to bed about 10:00. I couldn't sleep and finally about 11:30 went out on the couch. Thats when my contractions started. They were pretty consistent all night so about 7:30a.m. I got in the shower and started getting ready to go. Matt thought I was getting ready for church. When he woke up I told him we needed to go to the hospital so he showered and ate breakfast. We got to the hospital about 9:30 a.m. I was dilated to a 4. This time I wasn't even going to try to do it natural. I didn't want to deal with the pain. I got my epidural about 11:00 and the doctor broke my water shortly after. By 2:00 I was ready to start pushing. I only pushed once, maybe twice (I can't remember) and he was born at 2:05. 6 lbs. 5 oz. and totally healthy! Our family was able to come in and see him and spent about a half hour with us. Then they sent them all out, I fed him and we rested for a hour or so before they took him to the nursery. Breastfeeding was much easier this time, I actually enjoyed it and I breastfed him until it got to hard with work at 5 months. I had a lot easier time recovering from this birth. I don't know if it was because I wasn't in labor as long or if it is because I was already prepared for what would happen. The first week home was very enjoyable. He slept a lot and I had family help take care of Brooke so I was able to sleep a lot too. It was so nice to just have him right next to me and be able to feed him without having to get a bottle ready. I was back to running exactly one week after he was born. Oh and one other thing, sorry if this is TMI but I bled for a LONG time with baby #2. #1 it only lasted a week, maybe 2 but with #2 it lasted pretty steady for 8 weeks and then lightly for another month. One thing I wish I would have known is that you can start using tampons again after 4-5 weeks.

    A few other tips of advice:
    1. Be prepared to change A LOT of diapers the first few weeks. They poop almost everytime you change them. (I can't count how many times I got peeded on or pooped on while I was changing diapers)
    2. If people offer to help, LET THEM! I know it can be easy to feel like you have to do it all, but it will be so much better for you if you can get a couple hours of sleep here and there while someone watches the baby.
    3. On the same note as #2, don't be afraid to send the baby to the nursery in the hospital. I didn't do that with my first and I was so much more exhausted. I let my second go both nights and it was well worth the extra sleep!
    4. Sleep when the baby is sleeping. I know everyone tells you this but I also know how tempting it can be to just hurry and do a load or laundry or clean up the house but before you know it they are awake again. Chores can wait, getting some sleep is so much more important!
    4. Enjoy it! Memories of both my kids births and first week home are so precious and something I will treasure forever!!!

    Good luck and best wishes :) Bobbie